BIOFUELS: A HOMEGROWN SOLUTION
Indiana Corn Marketing Council is committed to promoting and helping make higher-ethanol fuel blends readily available for consumers in Indiana.
Corn-based ethanol is a homegrown, high-octane fuel and better for the environment, contributing up to a 50% reduction in greenhouse gas. Higher blends of fuel also help keep your gas price lower.
With 14 ethanol plants in the state and almost half of Indiana-grown corn converted into ethanol, this fuel ingredient is already positively serving Indiana’s economy, environment and local farmers.
To learn about ethanol’s economic impact in Indiana, download our 2014 ethanol economic impact study by Informa Economics.
To learn more about the environmental benefits of biofuels, visit getbiofuel.com.
Enter to Win a $100 Gas Card!
Does your vehicle have a yellow gas cap? If so, you can use E85. You can also check your vehicle’s owner’s manual. Here’s what you need to know before filling up with E85 at the pump:
- E85 is an ethanol-blended fuel that should be used only in Flex Fuel Vehicles; it is composed of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline
- E85 is a high-octane, high-performance and high-alcohol fuel, which makes it ideal for boosting horsepower. E85 burns cooler and keeps your engine and fuel system clean
- E85 reduces emissions more than 30% over traditional gasoline and is recognized as a Clean Air Choice® by the American Lung Association
If you have a passenger vehicle model year 2001 or newer or a Flex Fuel Vehicle, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency approves higher ethanol-blended fuel for use in your car. Here’s what you need to know:
- UNL88 is a higher-octane fuel composed of 15% ethanol and 85% gasoline
- More than 80% of cars, trucks and SUVs on the road today are approved to fill up with UNL88.
- 20 billion miles have been driven in vehicles fueled with UNL88 − with no reported cases of engine damage or misfueling
- Since 2011, ethanol-blended fuels have provided consumers with higher-octane, lower-priced (up to 10 cents) and environmentally-friendly fuel options at the pump
(Source: Renewable Fuels Association)
Ethanol Plants in Indiana
Indy500 – Indiana corn give INDYCAR an octane boost! INDYCAR runs on E85 because of its high-performance qualities. ICMC is a sponsor of this year’s race and events during the month of May.
Indy Air Strip Attack – ICMC sponsors the Shift-S3ctor Indy Air Strip Attack each year in Marion, Indiana. Learn more here.
Visit one of our partner pages to learn more about ethanol and why it’s the clear choice when it comes to clearing the air.